[extropy-chat] ai reading the internet again

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 1 06:19:30 UTC 2005

> Mike Lorrey:
>
> ... get called 'survivalists' and other epithets...
> =====
> Mike Lorrey

Epithets?  I always thought the term survivalist was a
compliment.  What is the opposite?  Perishist?

Pejoration is the linguistic process of a word gradually
becoming more negative in meaning or connotation over time.
The opposite is amelioration, the process of a word
evolving a more positive connotation over time.

Curious is the term suck.  My office mate is the
goalie for the Stanford hockey team.  At the last game
his cheering section unfurled a banner which read:
Don't Suck, Straigis!

At one time, the term suck meant to cause stimulation
of the genitals through oral manipulation, (which is
a good thing in most people's view) but now it means
of low quality or to perform poorly, which is bad.  So
we must conclude the term has pejorated.  Yet at one
time the original usage was considered vulgar, whereas
it has now passed into common speech, which would be
an example of amelioration.  Simultaneous amelioration
and pejoration?

How confused will be an emergent AI, should it attempt
to grok humans with our common use of the term suck.