[extropy-chat] brinkmanship

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 21:25:15 UTC 2005

--- Dirk Bruere <dirk at neopax.com> wrote:

> Ned Late wrote:
>
> >  Is America attempting to turn Mexico or Canada into theocracies?
> > Nobody misses Saddam Hussein and his rapo-mutilator Stalinists.
> > So if democracy eventually does triumph in Iraq, after a generation
> or
> > two, maybe 40 or 50 years, then we write the history books. Or if
> > there are no history books at that time, children will read it on
> > their computers.
> >
> > *//*
>
> And nobody would miss your good pals Musharraf (the Islamic military
> dictator) or that guy in Uzbekistan that boils people alive.

Musharraf has been allowing multi-party elections. That he is acting as
a monarch-like head of state in ousting corrupted officials is
indisputable, however comparing him to Hussein is some terrible moral
equivalency argument. As for the Uzbekis, well, we've got other fish to
fry. Just because the world is full of snakes is no reason to refuse to
stomp the rattlers in your path.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)