[extropy-chat] Comment on Wesley Smith's blog

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:33:56 UTC 2005

I left the following comment on Wesley Smith's blog
(http://www.wesleyjsmith.com/), referring to the article quoted in my
http://www.columbiatribune.com/2005/Feb/20050201News005.asp
(the fair newspaper description quoted below).
---
Dear Mr. Smith,
I wish to comment on the entry:
"I testified alongside Dr. David Prentice in Missouri yesterday urging
support of legislation that would outlaw all human cloning in the
"Show Me" state. Here is a pretty fair newspaper description of the
event", which does not have a dedicated comment area.
The fair newspaper description says that you "approach the issue from
an "entirely secular" perspective", and then:
"Does human life have intrinsic moral value simply and merely because
it is human? … If the answer to this crucial question is yes, which I
believe it must be, then we will outlaw all human cloning".
Please allow me to say that your perspective, far from being "entirely
secular", appears entirely taliban to me: as the statement attributed
to Mr. Neaves in the article says, you are putting abstract
considerations above the well-being of actual, thinking humans.
I believe your statement quoted above should be modified as:
"Does human life have intrinsic moral value simply and merely because
it is human? … If the answer to this crucial question is yes, which I
believe it must be, then we will do whatever is needed to save human
lives".