[extropy-chat] Re: The Force of Human Freedom

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 07:17:54 UTC 2005

Not being a good post-modernist doesn't bother me, I am not too
interested in being a faithful orthodox member of one or another -ism.
I try developing my own worldview, and if it fits well a -ism good,
otherwise too bad but I don't really care so much.
Of course I don't refuse to acknowledge the fact that our world is a
"us or them" world. It is a unfortunate fact but it remains a fact. I
would like to see myself as part of a big human family, but I know
that if I were to go to Iraq they would probably see me as one of
"them" and behead me. So I have no practical choice but seeing me as
one of "us". And I never questioned that if one is attacked the
smartest thing he can do is fighting back. But...
There is a very good novel by Bruce Sterling "Heavy Weather". At the
end someone is about to shoot someone else but before doing so he
feels the need of a long justification in moral terms of why he will
shoot. The other replies something like "if our roles were reversed, I
would also shoot you, but WITHOUT THE FUCKING LECTURE". What happens
of course is that the first guy is too distracted by trying to morally
justify his actions and does not notice a role-reversing situation,
and is killed at the end.
So. There are no such things as *right* or *wrong* actions. There are,
however, *smart* and *stupid* action. and I am conceding that in some
circumstances fighting back is the only smart thing to do. But please
let's fight back WITHOUT THE FUCKING LECTURE. Self defense is the
obvious thing to do when one is attacked, there is no need to justify
it with nebulous and unverifiable abstract concepts such as "objective
morality". Also, it would be practically dangerous. If you work
yourself into a blind belief that only your viewpoint is "objectively
valid", you will lose the capacity of understanding the other's point
of view, and this is a disadvantage iwhen it comes to negotiation.
G.