[extropy-chat] stem cell money

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 4 07:13:38 UTC 2005

> Both my friend who is a quadriplegic and I are pretty

> depressed about Bush winning again and what that means for stem

> cell/biotech research.

Well there is more than one way to look at that.  Heres the

bright side: W didnt actually outlaw stem cell research, he

just greatly limited what the government would pay for, effectively

nothing.  That throws the funding for stem cell research to

private industry, as well as the profit.  We should not write off

the power of the profit motive.  In some ways, one might argue

that private funding is exactly what stem cell research needs,

because the potential payoff is *truly* staggering.  The money

that a company could make off of a successful stem cell

therapy, especially the *first* company, with all the

momentum of the expectations of the proletariat, ooohhh my,

that sum makes one's butt hurt just to think of it.

The government's goofy *motive* for withholding funding

doesn't matter, only the outcome matters.  We might win.  {8-]