[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Debunked

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 18:29:35 UTC 2005

At 08:24 AM 2/7/2005 -0800, Mike wrote:

>quote attributed to Regan
>admin Interior Sect'y James Watt is entirely fabricated.

Interesting!

<James Watt was a controversial figure; but one thing he was not
controversial for was advocating environmental pillaging, on the theory
that Jesus would be back any day now. That would have been quite a news
story in the early 1980s, had it been true.>

But it must have been `quite a news story in the early 1980s', because I
was aware of it back then (and horrified by the alleged claim) in deepest
darkest Oz. My news sources would have been conventional mass media; I
didn't read specialized `leftist' journals, and the web didn't yet exist.
Maybe I heard/read the rumor during a visit to the States late in 1981.

Damien Broderick