[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) Book recommendation [_The Great Influenza_]

Terry W. Colvin fortean1 at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 7 20:21:38 UTC 2005

I have just finished reading a lovely book:  John M.
Berry, _The Great Influenza_, and I wanted to
recommend it to anyone who might be interested.  For
those not in this country, the book is primarily
concerned with the progress of  the disease in the US.

It's popular history, but well documented, giving not
only a history of the flu epidemic of 1918-19, but
also a view of the USA at the time of WWI.  The
reminder of what the Wilson government did to optimize
the war effort is quite timely; the ways in which that
very war effort affected the course of the epidemic
are fascinating.  Very enjoyable book.

I notice from the cover that the same author has
written a history of the Mississippi flood of 1927;
since as a child I had relatives who had lived through
that and who talked of it as some sort of momentous
event in their lives, I think I'll order that one and
see how it does.

Eleanor

--
"Only a zit on the wart on the heinie of progress." Copyright 1992, Frank Rice

Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1 at mindspring.com >
     Alternate: < fortean1 at msn.com >
Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/8958/index.html >
Sites: * Fortean Times * Mystic's Haven * TLCB *
      U.S. Message Text Formatting (USMTF) Program