[extropy-chat] FWD (Got Caliche?) A Progressive 12-step Program

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 8 07:27:02 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Mike Lorrey
>
> I have to nominate "This Land is My Land" by JibJab to be the best
> political satire of the 21st century, so far.
>
> =====
> Mike Lorrey

Loved that, had a party at my house, we played that JibJab
routine about 5 times, laughed our butts off.

Regarding living in cars (recognizing that was actually part
of a different thread):  I imagine many of us were close to
that at some time in our lives.  Or perhaps I am projecting.
In the summer of 83 in Seattle, I would gladly have lived in
a car, had I owned a car.  It is much more difficult to
live in a motorcycle, which was my only ride in those days,
and I can assure you, it wasn't much of a motorcycle.

Things did get better.

If one goes out south and east of Phoenix, there is a large
reservation where most of the inhabitants appear to be living
in cars or some combination of car/lean-to/shack of some
homemade sort.  One can imagine all these SUVs and minivans
we see today eventually becoming makeshift shelters for
otherwise homeless masses.

Looks to me like we could take junk cars, and instead of
melting them down, create a vast... um... well, wasteland waaay
out in the desert where people who just don't fit could go and
tune in, turn on, drop out of society.  We could send all the
dope that was confiscated by the narcs, supply water and food
in its rawest form, no cops, let people live in cars or whatever
they wanted to put together, get as stoned as they wanted to
be, stay that way 24/7.  Looks like a win/win to me: society
wouldn't need to deal with the problems, its way cheaper
than any of the alternatives, empty the prisons of everyone
who is there only because of drug offenses, send them out
there, and the dopers just wanna get stoned, so everyone wins.
Right?