[extropy-chat] Reaction to government lies, and the lack thereof

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Feb 9 09:14:29 UTC 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 7:17 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Samantha said it well.  The media was supposed to be
> that which stirred up the outrage - but then it
> started sparking outrage to bump its own sales, and
> began losing its ability to generate outrage.  Look,
> for example, at what happened to CBS during the
> election: it wanted so bad to make some outrage and
> attract viewers that it let not-too-hard-to-spot
> forgeries through as "evidence".

Hmm.  what part of that was i supposed to have said?  Take a look at
the book "Buzzsaw" about the investigative reporters fired and silenced
in recent times for attempting to bring inconvenient truths to light.
I don't think the media somehow failed us all by their lonesome.   I
also hove a sneaking suspicion there was a lot more to the CBS story
than has met the public eye.   I think CBS was served an exaggerated
rap providing cover for something inconvenient to the administration.
I won't be surprised if such comes out a ways down the road.   i never
take such convenient events at face value especially during a tight
election.

> Also, the entire government is starting to be viewed
> as dishonest and corrupt.  What does it say when
> President Bush, who sets the tone for the entire
> Executive Branch, cleans his cabinet of those who
> pointed out his lies and rewarded those who repeated
> his lies?  What does it say when Congress passes law
> after law that is unconstitutional on its face, and
> when the courts say as much, Congress's response is to
> complain about judges "legislating from the bench" and
> entertain the notion of stripping the Judicial Branch
> of its powers?  Those who want truth and honesty start
> leaving government to those who would pursue even more
> corrupt policies.

It says that it is getting deep fast and that it may be good to shovel
toward the exits.

- samantha