[extropy-chat] 'History' and the fulcrum of 1945

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Feb 10 17:30:58 UTC 2005

Hubert Mania wrote:

>I said:
>

>>>Interestingly enough, it is a discourse about the sorrows of the
>>>perpetrators. Most prominently: sexual violence against german
>>>women by soldiers of the red army
>>>

>Amara said:
>

>>This.
>>
>>Are the German women speaking now, or are others speaking for
>>them?
>>

>They are speaking now for themselves, Amara. At least a handful of those who
>survived. In books and tv-magazines. But it took them 5 or 6 decades to get
>rid of their shame and talk about it. While Germany was separated, it was
>un-pc to critizise the Red Army, especially in East Germany where the motto
>was: "Learning from the Soviet Union means learning how to win". While we,
>in the West, were told the same about the USA.
>
>In times of Cold War there was this silent agreement among Germans, that
>Russian atrocities against German women or British and US air raids against
>German cities should not be discussed in public. German soldiers had
>committed awful crimes, so wasn't it more than jusitified to endure the
>"punishments" of the victorious powers? And didn't they free uns from the
>Nazi terror, by the way?

That may be true in Germany, but it certainly wasn't in Britain where
such things had the occasional airing, complete with German witnesses
telling their story. That story also includes the fate of millions of E
European Germans (mostly Sudeten) killed after the war.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org