[extropy-chat] Reccommendations for a mailing list

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 20:15:52 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But listen to me
> > guys, this is GOOD. Discussing politics means that
> > we are actually
> > starting to discuss how to get there.
>
> It would be, if the politics were relevant.  Part of
> the problem is that the politics being discussed were
> only barely tangentially related to extropy, if even
> that much.

As I recall, there were a limited list of political topics being
discussed or ranted:

a) certain Americans and non-Americans crying about their
anti-Americanism and how screwed up America is
b) certain extropians talking about islamofascism, its ties to the left
in the west, the luddite agenda of both, and what should be done about
it.
c) certain people crying about the US election

Of this list (a) is slightly on-topic because of the present US
congressional/presidential agenda re cloning and stem cell research,
space exploration, among other topics. However discussion on these
topics was a mix of constructive and hand wringing, while the rest was
a waste of time.
(b) is decidely on topic for the list, luddism being the primary enemy
of extropy.
(c) is certainly off topic and a waste of time.

Trying to avoid politics in an age of implementing extropic concepts is
denial. We see this in the current discussion on spam and virus
problems online. Solving these problems can be done either with a big
government fascist approach like Dirk is advocating, public beheadings
included, or a common law propertarian approach like I advocate.

It is impossible to discuss extropy in the current day of
implementation without involving politics. One reason the government
got the drop on us in the 1990's was there was too much nerdy denial of
political reality. The assumption that government was as obsolete as
the dinosaurs and would wither away was infantile, but it was
insistently made by many persons on this list, as well as by Bill Gates
and company, who primarily lost their case because they didn't think
paying off the right politicians was a good investment.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)