[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 06:42:28 UTC 2005

and again, incidentally:

>At 08:40 PM 2/11/2005 -0800, Spike Jones wrote:
>
>>Step 10.  Given sufficient knowledge of the meta-device
>>upon which we could exist, it would in theory be possible to
>>predict the outcome of a stochastic process better than
>>would be expected from the law of averages.  This is
>>getting me nervously close to saying that psi could be
>>real somehow, even if not at all understood.

The problem here is that (as far as I could determine) there *isn't* any
surprising excess of winners en masse in lotteries, and I looked at an
awful lot of numbers. So if there's an aperture for precognition there,
lottery punters are not using it (or the psi meisters are very few in
number and being extremely subtle about it).

Damien Broderick