[extropy-chat] Kurzweil Article Retread

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun Feb 13 06:06:41 UTC 2005

I've seen variations on this article on Kurzweil lately, and this one is on
Yahoo today (heads-up came from another email list to which I belong, and
Kurzweil was described as extremely intelligent, but possessing off-the-wall
ideas - the subject line was, in fact, "Even the REALLY smart can be fooled
..."):

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=1&u=/ap/20050213/
ap_on_hi_te/one_man_s_immortality

or

http://tinyurl.com/5ja56

Observe the last two paragraphs:

"The instinct to preserve individuality, and to gain advantage for yourself
and children, would survive any breakthrough into biological immortality -
which Silver doesn't think is possible. The gap between the haves and
have-nots would widen and Kurzweil's vision of a united humanity would
become ever more elusive, he said.
'I think it would require a change in human nature,' Silver said, 'and I
don't think people want to do that.'"

 Olga