[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

David deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 14 11:18:05 UTC 2005

spike wrote:
> Even if we go with the notion that we exist in some
> sort of meta-sim, it still fails to explain the one
> observation that has puzzled me to no end: that the
> cosmos are not buzzing with signals.  How could that
> be?  Surely we are not the first tech-capable species
> to evolve.  Could we *really* be the very first ones
> to come along?  That notion is just too mind-boggling.
> So where are the others?

One thing that I sometimes wonder about is the possible
connection between gamma ray bursters, and zero point
energy schemes.  I have read reports of truly staggering
quantities of energy being bound up in the vacuum quantum
flux, and that the source of gamma ray bursters is unknown.
What if there is an easy way to tap zero point energy, but
there is a runaway effect until the tapper is obliterated
by a black hole formed by the sheer energy density.
Net result would be aliens get a little more advanced than we
are (because we haven't done it yet) and then obliterate all
life in their entire region of space.

-David.