[extropy-chat] coral reefer madness

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 16:10:05 UTC 2005

Trees would be better.  Branches are great for small
fish to swim around in, and they don't cost much.

> > The second part of the idea is how to make the reefs:
> > harvest some really big trees...
>
> Sounds like a good idea.  Would the trees last long enough to become
> encrusted?  I guess it would depend on wave action, water temperature,
> and such.  Dan

The old wooden ships lasted long enough to be crusted
over, so I would assume trees would.  They don't really
need to last forever: once the coral and barnacles and
things cover them sufficiently, it doesn't matter much
what happens to the wood underneath.  It would be ok
if they had a couple centuries life too, since it would
be simple to refresh them.

Im thinking of that big continental shelf that sticks
out east of my childhood home, Cape Canaveral Florida.
The shipping lanes go mostly outside of that (other than
the ones carrying dope into shore in the night I mean),
and most of that is 20 to 50 meters in depth, so it would
make a great place for an enormous experimental artificial
reef.