[extropy-chat] damien's psi book

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 22:25:30 UTC 2005

--- Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:43:29 -0800, spike <spike66 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Even if we go with the notion that we exist in some
> > sort of meta-sim, it still fails to explain the one
> > observation that has puzzled me to no end: that the
> > cosmos are not buzzing with signals.  How could that
> > be?  Surely we are not the first tech-capable species
> > to evolve.  Could we *really* be the very first ones
> > to come along?  That notion is just too mind-boggling.
> > So where are the others?
>
> I've never understood why people are so unhappy with this idea;
> what's to be unhappy about? It's not as if we have any practical
> need for the existence of aliens.

There is a very practical reason: we want the aliens to beam us the
designs for a warp drive. We also need to send them a royalty bill for
all the great entertainment we've been beaming out to them for decades.

The baby boomer generation looked at radio comm as a mantra proof that
it was possible for humanity to survive the nuclear age.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)