[extropy-chat] Analyzing the simulation argument

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Thu Feb 17 01:44:38 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>On the contrary, you need to distinguish between unfalsifiable
>arguments based on logic and which works to maximize scientific rigor
>as is possible, and unfalsifiable arguments which are plainly based on
>superstition from the get go.
>
>For example, Fermats Last Theorem was unfalsifiable for many years, as
>previously noted, as were many other theories, theorems, etc. until
>they were proven.

Mike, there is a fundamental difference between "unfalsifiable" and
unproven."

Godel (et. al.) proved in the 1930's that mathematical assertions fall
into three categories, not two. Before that time, logician and
mathematicians assumed that any formal mathematical statement was either
"true" or"false." Since Godel, we know that a mathematical statement can
be in one of three categories: "true", "false" or "provably
undecidable."  Fermat's last theorem was not "provably undecidable." is
was merely unproven. (The fourth category, "unproven," means only that
the statement has not yet been categorized.)

"Unfalsifiable" is to formal philosophy as "provably undecidable" is to
mathematics. That is, if my best argument, using the rules of
philosophy, show that a statement is unfalsifiable, then that statement
is as firmly placed in that third category as a different statement can
be placed in the "true" category or the "false" category by equally
cogent argument.

Since the time of Whitehead and Russell,  philosophers have been
converging the rules of philosophical argument with the rules of
mathematical argument.

Thus, if a hypothesis is unproven, I'm still interested in the argument.
If the hypothesis is provably unfalsifiable to my satisfaction, I'm no
longer interested.