[extropy-chat] Science News Article on lifespan

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 13:58:44 UTC 2005

--- Andrew Beck <abeck at berklee.net> wrote:

> I've wondered about this before - but it seems like the rest of the
> universe can appear to move faster for a mouse.
>
> If mass is huge amounts of energy concentrated in one place then
> wouldn't the difference of energy in an elephant and a mouse cause
> perceived time to change?
>
> I came to this conclusion because mass increases as velocity
> increases, and as velocity increases time dilation occurs.

The difference in velocity between a mouse and an elephant
relativistically speaking wrt time dilation is so small as to be of no
consequence. What is significant are the respective metabolic rates.

Mouse metabolic rates are extremely hot, requiring significant
fractions of body mass in food each day (in the example of a shrew,
which must eat its full body mass in food each day to survive).
Elelphants run very slow, with life spans of the same magnitude as that
of humans.

It is reasonable to take as a given that two organisms with a similar
number of life-time heartbeats genetically programmed but wildly
different metabolic rates have, from a qualitative perspective, equal
life spans, even though one may die in a year while the other dies in
40.

The difference in perceived passage of time does seem related to
metabolic rates. Child humans perceive time passing much slower than it
does for adults. As we age and our metabolisms slow, time seems to pass
even faster. When we see short bursts of metabolic rates (like in
adrenal rushes) time seems to come to a drastic slowness or even stop.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)