[extropy-chat] Re: Where have you been?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 04:39:31 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Ian Goddard
>
> "spike" <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Ian Goddard! ...I used to read your blog...  spike
>

>  Thanks for the kind greeting spike! Yeah, I've been off
> list for several years, apart from popping in once in '01 to
> post a link to my caloric-restriction report...

Been there, read that, liked it.  Your title "Eat Less-
Live More" reminds me of high school.  We were weighing
in for boxing (I was never a serious boxer, but I had fun
with it).  125 pounds is the dividing line between the
featherweights and the lightweights.  I could knock the
bony little blocks off of all the feathers.  But the
lightweights, those beefy 130 pound brutes, well, they would
have killed me for sure.  So I made certain I stayed in the
featherweights, the division I would still be in today,
28 years later.  I lived, proving your point: eat less,
live more.  {8-]  Of course some foodies might argue:
box less, live more.  {8^D  They are no fun.

> The list can get so voluminous it's hard to handle...

But not so voluminous as it was in 01.

> A few years ago I went back to school and that's what I've
> been busy doing for the most part, studying philosophy...
> ... yes, I love the topic, and yes, I want to learn
> more and more about it, but is it practical?...

It is a beef I have had with the way career counseling was
done years ago and is still done: they don't seem to
differentiate between the practical and the blue-sky.
Sure a few will make it to way cool careers such as
astronomy: Amara Graps did it.  But they don't really
explain to the students that only a few make the high-
profile careers.  Most of us suffer far more mundane
9-to-5s.