[extropy-chat] Analyzing the simulation argument

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 11:58:32 UTC 2005

--- Russell Wallace <russell.wallace at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:10:22 -0800 (PST), Mike Lorrey
> <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > No, it doesn't. One distinction would be that if you were living in
> > simulation, then it would be possible to simulate whole universes.
> If
> > you were not living in a simulation, given the odds otherwise, then
> it
> > is likely that it is not possible to simulate whole universes.
>
> What makes you think that?

That is an incontrovertible result of the same logic in the SA:
because, if it is possible to simulate whole universes, and at least
one civilization in one natural universe simulates universes capable of
developing their own posthuman civilizations, then odds are
overwhelming that we live in a simulation. If we don't in fact live in
a simulation, we are either the one in a bazillion exception to the
'living in a simulation' odds, or else we live in a universe where it
is impossible to simulate whole universes.

All else being equal, we either live in a universe simulation, or it is
not possible to simulate whole universes.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)