[extropy-chat] cosmic silence

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Fri Feb 18 16:33:29 UTC 2005

I sorely disagree with you on this one. I think that our minds are the means
to overcome the bad parts of our programming. That is why we are the only
surviving member of the hominid family. H. neanderthalensis may have been
pretty smart, but they also may have hunted themselves out of food, burned
themselves out of land, or taken on some other similar self-destructive
behavior. As of now, there are few explanations for the extinction of H.n
since they seem to have lived peacefully alongside us. It is possible that
they simply destroyed themselves.

As humans, we have evolved the ability to think several steps ahead. It is
one thing we are very good at that separates us from other animals and we
recognize this in people such as Kasparov. We may be reaching that point
where the changes will occur faster than we can think ahead, but we already
know the solution to that.....build a machine to do the thinking ahead for
us. :-)

It is interesting to note that your fear is common. It is natural for human
beings to be afraid that we are going to destroy ourselves. We have been
obsessed with doomsday predictions since before we were able to write them
down. So many books and movies have been written on the topic that I
couldn;t even begin to name them all. It is a very popular topic in both
fiction and non-fiction. Could it be that this fear you have is the very
evolutionary device employed to keep us from destroying ourselves?

I like to think of human beings as playing the same role that single-celled
organisms played in the early stages of life on this planet. We are set to
enter a new and glorious age with infinite diversity. Yes, the human species
itself may not survive any more than the original single-celled organisms
have survuved to this day. But we will be the common ancestor of things as
different from us as we are from cyanobacteria.

Kevin Freels