[extropy-chat] sonofusion tested on BBC tonight

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Tue Feb 22 01:39:08 UTC 2005

Dirk Bruere wrote:

> Damien Broderick wrote:
>
>> The BBC is showing a program tonight on cold fusion claims (of a
>> sort). If anyone here watches it, maybe they could report back?
>>
> No replication, and Taleyarkhan refused to work with one of the people
> involved.
> However, I'd say that it may well be that all collapsing bubbles are
> not equal and that symmetry is crucial.

I'm fairly skeptical of the Oak ridge sonofusion experiments, but I'm
really distressed when they are linked to "cold fusion." There was never
a viable theory for palladium-catalyzed "cold fusion." and the
experimental setup was quite complex. Experiment showed an ambiguous
excess energy production, difficult to reproduce, and fusion was then
suggested as a possible reason. This is really bad science.

By contrast, sonofusion has a very clear theoretical underpinning.
Single-bubble sonoluminescence (SBSL) is easy to reproduce, and the glow
of the bubble is most parsimoniously explained as thermal (or blackbody)
radiation. From this hypothesis, we can make a simple calculation to
show that IF the bubble gets hotter THEN fusion will occur. Great
theoretical science, no voodoo required.

The problem with the Oak Ridge experiment is that they chose to use a
neutron source to nucleate the bubble. They also use neutron production
as the indicator that fusion has occurred. Yes, the respective neutrons
differ in energy and time, but extrordinary claims require extrordinary
proofs, so I would really, really prefer to see an experiment with no
neutron source anywhere near the experiment.