[extropy-chat] sonofusion tested on BBC tonight

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 03:47:35 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
> > Damien Broderick wrote:
> >
> >> The BBC is showing a program tonight on cold fusion claims (of a
> >> sort). If anyone here watches it, maybe they could report back?
> >>
> > No replication, and Taleyarkhan refused to work with one of the
> people
> > involved.
> > However, I'd say that it may well be that all collapsing bubbles
> are
> > not equal and that symmetry is crucial.
> >
> I'm fairly skeptical of the Oak ridge sonofusion experiments, but I'm
> really distressed when they are linked to "cold fusion." There was
> never a viable theory for palladium-catalyzed "cold fusion." and the
> experimental setup was quite complex. Experiment showed an ambiguous
> excess energy production, difficult to reproduce, and fusion was then
> suggested as a possible reason. This is really bad science.

On the contrary, Dan, Navy researchers have clearly shown that in
palladium elements from one manufacturer consistently and repeatedly
produce sustained reactions of significant over-unity thermal
emissions, as well as production of excess helium. Elements from other
makers were spotty and unreliable. It thus seems to clearly be an issue
for some R&D on nanomaterials manufacturing of these elements.

There was a viable theory that Pons and Fleishman had put together back
at the start, but being chemists, could never get physicists to
recognise. Its like trying to get alchemists and witch doctors to give
each other respect.

> By contrast, sonofusion has a very clear theoretical underpinning.
> Single-bubble sonoluminescence (SBSL) is easy to reproduce, and the
> glow of the bubble is most parsimoniously explained as thermal (or
> blackbody)
> radiation. From this hypothesis, we can make a simple calculation to
> show that IF the bubble gets hotter THEN fusion will occur. Great
> theoretical science, no voodoo required.

Sure, but the only real distinction between that and palladium CF is
like the difference between external and internal combustion engines.
Until you figure out how to look inside the cylinder while it is
firing, its  purely a mystery. Any idiot can see how a coal fired steam
engine works.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)