[extropy-chat] "Scientists feel stifled by Bush administration"- alternatives?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 23 01:21:53 UTC 2005

--- "Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc."
<megao at sasktel.net> wrote:
> If the Moon/mars/Titan  etc is Bush's objective push
> cryogenic preserved
> astronauts  shot from place to place Via massdriver
> in automated
> payload delivery cubicles, caught by reverse mass
> driver "catcher's
> mits",  and revived at the destination  VS slow
> cumbersome, expensive
> spacecraft for meatware.
>
> That would make space travel much cheaper from an
> energy- fuel
> standpoint  and  a whole lot faster.
>
> That way the military pays to perfect
> commercialization and mass
> marketetable cryo storage and reanimation
> technologies.

Nice idea, if there was a method of cryo-reanimation
close enough to reality today (as in, can be fully
prototyped in a lab in the next four years) for the
military to fund the development of.  That criteria
seems to rule out nano-robots of any kind, but there
do not appear to be any other ideas on the table.

Titan is not Bush's stated objective, but the Moon and
Mars are.  Cryo is not needed for the Moon, but it
might be useful for Mars.  Cryo that only provides
useful suspension of living beings over a few months
(i.e., slow down metabolism until they're in
hibernation) might not be the same thing as cryo over
decades until we can revive the preserved dead, but
it's a start.