[extropy-chat] simulation argument may be just a dream

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 19:30:30 UTC 2005

--- ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:

> Maybe we are just some super-powerful mind's random dream, and will
> disappear without trace in the morning.

This is a) overly solipsistic, and relies on the idea that creatures
could evolve elsewhere naturally with superintelligence, which is
contradicted by Yudkowskian arguments, and b) underestimating to the
extreme the amount of computation required to simulate a universe. I
would refer you to recent published papers on computing with black
holes as a start.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)