[extropy-chat] mainstream media

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Jan 7 16:44:19 UTC 2005

BillK wrote:

>On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:55:54 -0800, spike wrote:
>

>>Question for the Brits: how is BBC perceived in Jolly Olde?
>>Do you guys view it as biased?  Or middle of the road?
>>

>Is this flamebait or what???   ;)
>
>The BBC is viewed through the lens of your own prejudices.
>
>They were seen as being very anti the Iraq war, anti Tony Blair's
>support of the USA and anti USA in their selective reporting from
>Iraq. All bad news about the USA, nothing good to say, just continual
>carping and sniping.

Which is fair, except that the BBC view of the Iraq war has been shown
to be fairly accurate.

>But after having a big fight with Tony Blair, which he won, there were
>a lot of resignations and re-organisation in the BBC. So they may be a
>bit better now.

Blair got lucky.
When it comes to the deceptive way he dragged us in as Bush's mercs the
BBC had it right in essence.
I don't call it biased when the 'bias' turns out to be largely a
reporting of the truth.

>Women managers and directors have a lot of power in the BBC. All their
>sitcoms seem to involve idiot men and smart women.
>
>Googling on BBC bias, complaints, prejudice, etc. should produce lots
>of interesting reading.

IMO it's too PC. Quite a lot is *not* said because it's politically
incorrect.
This occasionally results in 'cognitive dissonance' esp when the
feminists meet the multiculturalists over Islam.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org