[extropy-chat] weaponry

Ned Late nedlt at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 00:20:44 UTC 2005

Yes, it sounds too much like common sense, it sounds too pat. A scrawny kid with a razor sharp knife is dangerous enough. See, it doesn't matter to me what the 'usual' situation is, if someone sticks a weapon very close to my face then there exists only that situation at that exact time, nothing predictable about it IMO. It depends on how tired one is, how alert one is, what mood one is in, what reflexes one possesses. When a guy is attacked he doesn't think what the usual way of dealing with such a situation, he has got to wing it. Now for certain civilians who are ex-servicemen (or maybe militia-types), they may be trained so well that they  almost automatically do what has to be done. Don't know.
Do know I've been mugged three or four times in NYC when working as a messenger 25 years ago. Once a group of punks stuck long knives very close to my nose so I gave them my wallet- but since they were obvious punks, I asked for my driver's license before they left, and one guy apologetically took the license out of the wallet and dropped it on the ground. Another time a scrawny punk followed me into an elevator and said he had a knife in his pocket. I looked at his pocket and judged there was nothing there. He looked so unsure I almost laughed, but since there was no one besides we two in the elevator, it seemed best at that moment to hand over every sent I had without his even asking. Just to play it extra safe. He thanked me profusely. If we had been outdoors or even in the lobby I would have ignored him. I was never afraid when being mugged, or confused, but each time was an unexpected situation where there was not quite enough time to think in depth. Each mugging was unique,
 nothing usual to plan for.

Kevin Freels <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
Indiana Law states that lethal force may be used if a person threatens you
with death or serious bodily harm AND has the means AND ability to do so.
They also allow lethal force in the event that someone is actively
attempting arson. Note that the lethal force law says nothing of guns.
Likewise, a 6ft tall 280 lb guy defending himself from an 18 yr old 5 ft
tall scrawny kid with a small knife may run into some problems if he chooses
to shoot. Sounds almost too much like common sense if you ask me. :-)