[extropy-chat] Transhumanism: 2000 Years in the Making

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sat Jan 8 00:27:43 UTC 2005

Comparing transhumanism to gnosticism is nothing new. I've seen and heard
it many times, most notably in Erik Davis' book, "Techgnosis".

The attempt to force transhumanism (in all its flavors) into the shape of
gnosticism can only be damaging. This essay follows the usual line of
saying that we "despise" the physical body. I'm sure *some* of us do, but
for most of us, that attitude does not follow from a desire to improve on
the amazing start made by nature. (When you edit your first draft of a
piece of writing or coding, does that imply that you *despise* your initial
attempt?) The body is not and cannot be "degenerate", since it hasn't
degenerated from a imaginary state of initial perfection.

Transhumanism really has none of the fundamentalism dualism of gnosticism.
There is no equivalent of "the Fall." Nor do we claim access to a special
way of knowing (we just read and think more than most people!).

The author's suggestion that we enlightened transhumans-to-be (the "chosen
few") will lead the rest into the future or leave them "to wallow", is an
absurdly prejudicial characterization. The same might be said of *anyone*
who tries to encourage others to adopt better ways of doing things, as they
see it.

Onward!

Max

Max More, Ph.D.