[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment CitizenAward

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 8 02:38:29 UTC 2005

Natasha Vita-More

Subject: [extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment
CitizenAward

On Receiving Harvard Medical School's Global Environment Citizen Award

by Bill Moyers

... creating perils with huge momentum like the greenhouse effect that is
causing the melt of the arctic to release so much freshwater into the North
Atlantic that even the Pentagon is growing alarmed that a weakening gulf
stream could yield abrupt and overwhelming changes, the kind of changes that
could radically alter civilizations...

This oddball comment again.  I've heard it several times, and I have

yet to understand why Moyers thinks the pentagon would give a damn

if there is additional fresh water in the Atlantic.  Do they think an
aircraft

carrier won't float in a slightly less saline sea?  Are they concerned

a northwest passage opening up will cause some kind of conflict

with northern Europe?  Do they really take seriously the Hollywood

notion that global warming will plunge us into a new ice age? What is

that about really?  Seems the pentagon types would be the last to

notice or care about global warming.