[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments -GlobalEnvironmentCitizenAward

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 12:22:23 UTC 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 23:28:07 -0800, spike wrote:

> Mostly growing new forests where now are grassy plains.

There are already many 'plant a tree' campaigns all around the world.
For one example, see:
<http://www.earthday.net/goals/trees/treeplanting.stm>
"In our Global ReLeaf® campaign our goal is to help people around the
world plant one billion new trees in the next five years. In the
United States the goal of our Trees Across America is to help get one
tree planted for every American by 2007."
(US population - about 300 million)

The vanishing of existing forests and the resulting natural disasters,
e.g. soil erosion, landslides, floods, air pollution, etc. are causing
more and more attention to be given to re-forestation. Third World
population increases cause forests to be cleared for farming, so the
rapid industrialization of the Third World will reduce this effect.

As the Indian government noted, forests planted along shorelines also
break the force of any tsunamis that hit the coast.

BillK