[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments -GlobalEnvironmentCitizenAward

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 10 21:48:38 UTC 2005

Over post limit, so pasted together:
====================================
Minor Quibble:

Wood is polymerized sugar, around 40% by weight Carbon.

While we are on this nit, CO2 has 12 + 16 + 16 mol wt 44, or 27% carbon.
Case of mutually cancelling errors here...

>Wood is nearly all carbon (assuming one digit precision), so about
>1e11 cubic meters of wood must be produced, bundled and
>sunk in the sea or squirreled away in Antarctica somewhere.

I once saw a space photo, of sub saharan Africa, where 100 km^2 was fenced
off from grazing, and much more vegetation present. How to protect 10^6
km^2 of forest for the 100 years for it to come mature and keep it so is a
real challenge......

(oops, just solved problem: forest Texas!)

I saw a photo of Liquid CO2 - in a beaker at 1000 meters depth. Many
applications trap their CO2 and either put into old gas wells and the like,
or are considering packaging and putting on the sea bottoms. Kinds skips
the area and time needed to do via trees....

Spike:
If the wood does not get waterlogged enough to sink,
>then we could allow it to drift in the Pacific
>current until it gets into the Southern hemisphere,
>at which time the bundles could perhaps be towed
>to Antarctica, where they would be pulled from
>the water and hauled inland, where it would take
>centuries to decay, for the organisms which are
>adapted for such tasks would surely be unable to
>survive in that bitterly cold climate.

I recall an ice age theory which had the Arctic Ocean warm, and its precip
on the continents made the ice sheets. Warm, precipitious icy winters,
becoming all winter year round.

 > Global warming is causing the ice cap to melt, which is releasing
> > tremendous amounts of fresh water into the north atlantic, thus
> > increasing the buoyancy of the surface water. Increased buoyancy may
> > prevent the current from sinking into the depths and moving
> > southward, thus shutting down the cycle in the north atlantic.

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =
=   Alcor Advisor to Board       =