[extropy-chat] change of topic

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Tue Jan 11 02:44:32 UTC 2005

Olga Bourlin wrote:

>From: "Ned Late" <nedlt at yahoo.com>
>

>>Okay, but if K-12 is a babysitting service, then scrap
>>it and let the parents do the babysitting themselves.
>>

>Begging your pardon, but this is 2005 and most parents are *at work.*  The
>1950s are over, and they're never coming back (thank goodness).

Furthermore, even if the educational system were imparting nothing of
value directly,
the kids still get a great deal of education from each other. Perhaps we
should fire all
of the administrators and teachers and replace them with proctors. Send
the kids to school,
and let them interact as they wish, subject only to rules of behavior
enforced by the proctors.

My kids (a senior at UVA, a sophomore at McGill, and a high school
freshman) all seemed to
get more out of recess and extracurricular activities than they did from
classes. They are all
voracious readers, though.