[extropy-chat] real cheap education

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Wed Jan 12 04:34:21 UTC 2005

Damien Broderick wrote:
> At 04:24 PM 1/11/2005 -0800, Acy wrote:
>
>> According to my information, the government spends more than twice
>> as much per student annually as the best private schools. Reducing
>> that tax burden would foster a flourishing private school industry.
>

> Let's see: http://www.cobras.org/usastats.htm
>
> EDUCATION IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
>
> - EXPENDITURES FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS:  $757 per resident
>
> - PUBLIC SCHOOL EXPENDITURES:  $4,509 per pupil
>

> So the *best* private schools manage to charge less than half that?
> Wow.
>
> Damien Broderick

How's this sound, from the National Center for Education Statistics:

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2004/2004319.pdf

"In the 2000-2001 school year, the median school district received
$8,236 per student in revenues from state, local, and federal
sources... Total expenditures per student ranged between $6,158 and
$12,621 for 80 percent of the school districts in the country."

For 12 years of education this gives a total cost of ~$100K

-

Unfortunately I am unable to find data to support the cost of private
schools. However, based upon a reported ~$13K/year for secondary school
(from another message) and ~$5K per year for primary school here in
Austin, and assuming six years @ $5k, three years @ $9K, and three
years at $13K, a total cost of $96K is arrived at. This compares less
favorably costwise than I imagined; however the environment and
education is likely far superior in private schools.

If someone could find statistics on the cost of public schooling
divided according to primary and secondary education I would be
quite appreciative.

Acy