[extropy-chat] Stalinist transgender 'warrior'

Ned Late nedlt at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 19:53:34 UTC 2005

 I have nothing whatsoever against transgenders. It is Leslie Feinberg's neo-Stalinism that is ominous. Stalinists and neo-Stalinists are totalists, with a different ideology than fascists yet advocating the same system of exile, imprisonment, torture, execution.
This is a subject I can speak with authority on as I was at one time associated with the same political party, WWP, that she is a member of. Don't you think Stalinists & neo-Stalinists lack imagination and compassion?
http://www.workers.org

Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
Mr. Late.

Transgender is an umbrella term that in modern usage is often applied
to all who bend normal gender roles or expectations in any respect
whatsoever. In my opinion it is too broad a term by far. However,
being transgender is in no wise something undesirable or undesirable
for participation in transhumanist/extropian circles. I myself am
transsexual having completed the change some 13 years ago. Now I am
sure you did not intend to insult me personally or others on this list
and/or in transhumanism.

It is amazing to me when people supposedly quite comfortable with
augmentation, uploads and so on will turn around and put down those who
today for reasons of medical treatment of diagnosed disorder or
personal choice are in some way physically, socially, hormonally or
however changed. It seems pretty hypocritical and unimaginative not
to mention lacking in both imagination and compassion.