[extropy-chat] Re: Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission--reply to a replyon another list

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 22:59:45 UTC 2005

--- Dan <neptune at superlink.net> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:39 PM Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
> wrote:
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission--reply to
> replyon another list
> >>
> >> How much Delta v is it capable of?  It takes
> >> a lot to change the plane of an orbit which is
> >> what would be required to bring the Hubble
> >> to ISS.
> >
> > The Phillips OTV's arcjet has enough power
> > and fuel to be capable of SEVERAL trips back
> > and forth to and from geosynchronous orbit with
> > significant payloads.
>
> Supposedly.  It's not actually flown to space.  And we'd have to do
> the
> math to see if this actual made it capable of the necessary orbital
> plane change.
>
> Also, do you think it'd be ready for flight in three years or less?
> My Soyuz proposal has the benefit of using tried and tested
technology for the most part...

There used to be pictures of it fully assembled back in the 1997-1999
period, on the Phillips Lab website. Don't know whether they are just
being more reticent with information since 9/11, or what, but I'm
wondering if it wasn't launched on a classified program...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)