[extropy-chat] PBS turns into CSS [was: The Force of Human Freedom]

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 30 23:43:20 UTC 2005

From: "Amara Graps" <Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it>

>> http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/front/map/
>
> Sheesh...!!  Now PBS too??
>
> With  that relentless hammering of fear, how do you folks sleep
> at night, or get out of bed in the morning?

It's worse than that, Amara.  PBS (I now call them CSS, to be uttered with a
fowl sneer) has recently caved in over the dilemma over imaginary cartoon
characters' sexual orientations, and pulled their support of some real
families (e.g., a family that was headed by two lesbian women who are join
in civil union in Vermont).

Culture Wars Pull Buster Into the Fray
By JULIE SALAMON
Published: January 27, 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/27/arts/television/27bust.html?oref=login

Culture Wars Pull Buster Into the Fray
By JULIE SALAMON
Published: January 27, 2005

Wayne Godwin, chief operating officer of PBS, got a bit tangled as he tried
to explain the PBS stance on gay characters appearing on children's
television shows.

"In fairness I would have to say a gay character is not one we would not
include," he said, and then clarified. "The fact that a character may or may
not be gay is not a reason why they should or should not be part of this
series."

Yet on Tuesday PBS decided not to distribute to its roughly 350 PBS stations
an episode of "Postcards From Buster," which was scheduled for Feb. 2 and
included lesbian mothers, even though a few days earlier PBS officials,
among them PBS's president, Pat Mitchell, viewed the episode and called it
appropriate. That was before Education Secretary Margaret Spellings
denounced the program, starring Buster Baxter, a cute animated rabbit who
until now has been known primarily as a close friend of Arthur, the world's
most famous aardvark. Ms. Spellings said many parents would not want
children exposed to a lesbian life style.

Buster joined another cartoon character, SpongeBob SquarePants, as a focus
of the nation's culture wars. SpongeBob was recently attacked by Christian
groups for being pro-homosexual, though SpongeBob's creator said it was all
a misinterpretation. Buster's offense was appearing in "Sugartime!," the
undistributed "Postcards From Buster" show, in which he visits children
living in Vermont whose parents are a lesbian couple. Civil unions are
allowed in Vermont.

"Postcards From Buster" is a spinoff of "Arthur" that combines live action
and animation and went on the air a year ago. In the series, aimed at young
elementary schoolchildren, Buster travels to 24 different states with his
father and sends video postcards home.

Buster appears briefly onscreen, but mainly narrates these live-action
segments, which show real children and how they live. One episode featured a
family with five children, living in a trailer in Virginia, all sharing one
room. In another, Buster visits a Mormon family in Utah. He has dropped in
on fundamentalist Christians and Muslims as well as American Indians and
Hmong. He has shown the lives of children who have only one parent, and
those who live with grandparents.

Marc Brown, creator of "Arthur" and "Postcards From Buster," said in a
statement: "I am disappointed by PBS's decision not to distribute the
'Postcards From Buster' 'Sugartime!' episode to public television stations.
What we are trying to do in the series is connect kids with other kids by
reflecting their lives. In some episodes, as in the Vermont one, we are
validating children who are seldom validated. We believe that 'Postcards
>From Buster' does this in a very natural way and, as always, from the point
of view of children."

Jeanne Hopkins, a spokeswoman for the show's producer, WGBH-TV of Boston,
added, "We feel it's important that we not exclude kids because of what
their family structure looks like." WGBH plans to broadcast the episode in
March and offer it to other PBS stations.

Like the grown-ups in most of the episodes, the lesbian mothers in the
"Sugartime!" segment are mainly background. "The concern really was that
there's a point where background becomes foreground," Mr. Godwin said. "No
matter if the parents were intended to be background, with this specific
item in this particular program they might simply be foreground because of
press attention to it and parental attention to it."

The question is, does the episode violate the grant under which WGBH
received federal funds? Mr. Godwin said, "The presence of a couple headed by
two mothers would not be appropriate curricular purpose that PBS should
provide."

The grant specifies the programs "should be designed to appeal to all of
America's children by providing them with content and characters with which
they can identify." In addition, the grant says, "Diversity will be
incorporated into the fabric of the series to help children understand and
respect differences and learn to live in a multicultural society."

Brigid Sullivan, vice president for children's programming at WGBH, has been
producing children's shows for 20 years, including "Arthur," for many years
the top-rated children's show. "This asked for a project on diversity to all
of America's children," she said. "We took it seriously and thought that
with 'Arthur,' the No. 1 show on television for kids for years, we had
something to draw kids in.

Buster is Arthur's best friend, the child of divorce, he has asthma.
Children sympathize with him. We had a breakthrough format, this animated
bunny with his camera getting live-action sequence. Not to present a
make-believe world of diversity but a real world."

Explaining the goal of the show, Ms. Sullivan said: "We want to reflect all
of America's children."

"This is not about their parents," she said.