Rules of Engagement was Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Meta: Too far

John Calvin john.h.calvin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 05:37:20 UTC 2005

Hello,

I used to post to this list a few years ago, but stopped when life got
too busy.  I have enjoyed lurking again, and thought that I would

I spent last year serving in Afghanistan as a Psychological Operations
SGT, and can speak to the whole ROE thing.

We had several opportunities for training on the Rules of Engagement,
which at the time seemed odd since they were actually pretty simple.
Goes to show that the military loves repetition, because it works.

> I wonder what happens for instance if a low ranking soldier thinks that
> they have been given an order to do something that breaks with the
> rules of engagement, or the Geneva Conventions. What does a soldier
> do when his/her superior is the one that is doing the encouraging or
> is ordering to break from the rules of engagement?
>
> Which is supposed to have precedence in a conflict, a direct order
> from a superior, or the rules of engagement? I'd have though the
> second.

Bare bones, the Rules of Engagement boiled down to shoot only at
threats.  So if someone shoots at you, other US Personnel, or
civilians, you are authorized to shoot back and to terminate the
aggressor if required.  The ROE also set guidlelines for entering
buildings, conducting searches, and interacting with the local
populace.  The guidlines were very sensible and errored on the side of
caution.  It was made clear to us that the ROE was there to protect
both soldiers and civilians, and that they were broad enough to allow
us to conduct our missions.  There was also very clear instruction
that the ROE was the overiding order, and that if we were given
conflicting orders we were to follow the ROE to the best of our
ability.

Hope that answers your question

I also would like to point out that nearly my entire tour in
Afghanistan was engaged in various humanitarian efforts.  The infantry
unit that I supported was heavily engaged in providing medical care in
the villages, building schools, promoting better agriculture
techniques, and generally  working to improve the lives of the people
of Afghanistan.  I for one and proud to have served there, and will
gladly do so again.

John Calvin