[extropy-chat] finding old (and new) sf

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Jul 2 01:48:08 UTC 2005

Damien wrote:

>When someone like Charlie Stross or Cory Doctorow releases a book under
>CC, it is ancillary to paper publication, and their hope is that readers
>who get enthralled by the e-text will get tired of reading on the screen
>and pick up a copy at the bookstore, or via Amazon. CC release is thus a
>form of advertising; the revenue still comes from the paper books.

Indeed, a free download is best structured to be inconvenient to read, even
if it is ostensibly in a print format.

I encountered something similar in a consulting job. We were generating
printed quarterly reports for company A to give to their customers. I had
ideas on making it much more convenient, such as real-time reports the
customer could view over the web. Turns out a major reason they wanted the
printed reports is to have a regular excuse for their sales force to call.

The moral for me, and perhaps others on-list, is that people almost always
behave rationally and if one doesn't think so, one may not be looking at a
wide enough range of considerations.

>  What I'm still toying with is the possibility of making this novel
> available for download at no charge, while inviting readers who enjoy it
> to send us, say, a dollar or two via PayPal.
>
>Charlie had 22,000 downloads fairly quickly when he put his new
>singularity novel ACCELERANDO up for grabs. My question: how many people
>would feel an impulse to pay the author a couple of bucks in gratitude for
>having the book might available in this way? Would anyone here be likely
>to do so?

I wouldn't, although I have paid for pdf documents. Because the content was
not available on paper, because it was substantially cheaper, or because I
needed it *now*.

Commerce is more dependable than charity. (Quoth the libertarian,
paraphrasing David Friedman.)

-- David.