[extropy-chat] finding old (and new) sf

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat Jul 2 03:10:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Damien Broderick wrote:

> When someone like Charlie Stross or Cory Doctorow releases a book under CC,
> it is ancillary to paper publication, and their hope is that readers who
> get enthralled by the e-text will get tired of reading on the screen and
> pick up a copy at the bookstore, or via Amazon. CC release is thus a form
> of advertising; the revenue still comes from the paper books. What I'm
> still toying with is the possibility of making this novel available for
> download at no charge, while inviting readers who enjoy it to send us, say,
> a dollar or two via PayPal.
>
> Charlie had 22,000 downloads fairly quickly when he put his new singularity
> novel ACCELERANDO up for grabs. My question: how many people would feel an
> impulse to pay the author a couple of bucks in gratitude for having the
> book might available in this way? Would anyone here be likely to do so?

I might well be interested in purchasing such, but would not want to
use PayPal, preferring to send a Money Order. That would be a problem
for non-US purchases.

For sure I wouldn't want to pay much, as the reading would not be very
comfortable. My old 'puter sitting here on this desk, me perched on
this drafting stool... however I'm most unlikely to print a *book*
out! :)))

Regards,
MB