[extropy-chat] it takes a conservative village

c c beb_cc at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 2 22:21:58 UTC 2005

If smaller government is better then why don't fiscal conservatives save more for their childrens' education? Why do conservative parents so often say, "I don't like big government telling me what to do with my family, but I want the government to subsidize my kids' education"? If education is so important, then why don't conservative parents make it their first priority? If so many conservative parents want to send their children to better schools then why don't they save much more so they can pay for the schooling entirely by themselves? Instead parents essentially say "I pay taxes thus I want back for my childrens' education what I put into the system". However in terms of quality they are often not getting back what they put in, they would have greater odds getting more bang for their buck by paying all the educational costs themselves or homeschooling the children; and of course some can hire tutors as well. But no, of course not-- this would be the sensible thing to do. Instead
 they infuse funds via property and other taxes into the school system, but often resent public schools because the quality is merely poor - good or the children are not being educated in the way conservative parents want them to be educated.
What it amounts to is fiscal conservatives say they think their children are their own responsibility when deep down they actually think the responsibility ought to be shared. "It takes a conservative village" is their secret thinking. Jessica Peck Corry of The Independence Institute wants parents to take responsibility for their own families, yet she will expect the government to take some financial responsibility for her child when that child goes to school. When you multiply that times all the conservatives in Colorado who want government to take at least part of the responsibility for their childrens' education, then you can see right away that fiscal responsibility in education wont go anywhere in the confused state that is Colorado. So much for independence.