[extropy-chat] finding old (and new) sf

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Sat Jul 2 22:30:54 UTC 2005

Jef Allbright wrote:

>(I've already converted several hundred books in my paper library to PDF
>and have discretely disposed of the corpses.)

I've recently begun the process of massively ridding myself of paper, and
having a digital backup for paper I want to retain.

I heartily recommend the Fujitsu ScanSnap fi-5110EOX2 (about $400,
including shipping, from newegg.com). It's about the size of a shoe box. It
will scan a stack of documents from business card to A4. Both sides are
scanned simultaneously, optionally skipping blank pages. Color to 600 dpi,
B&W to 1200 dpi. Automatically deskews crooked pages. Saves to pdf or jpg.
Comes with Acrobat (which includes OCR software) and CardMinder (global
business card recognition). Lots of other bells-and-whistles. A few
limitations.

I'm easily able to feed it a couple thousand sheets a day while I'm doing
other work. Its small footprint and fast idle-to-scanned time also makes it
trivial to integrate one-off scans into your workflow. I.e., I can scan in
my electric bill in roughly the time it takes to open the next envelope in
a stack of mail.

-- David Lubkin.