[extropy-chat] Beefcake Babies

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Jul 4 06:25:49 UTC 2005

"... His staff wooed successful scientists and businessmen who were
athletic, healthy and tall (Graham discovered American parents were wary of
little eggheads). He lured customers by letting them select donors from an
irresistible collection of what Plotz calls ''prime cuts of American man.'':

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/books/review/03MORRICE.html?

July 3, 2005
'The Genius Factory': Test-Tube Superbabies
By POLLY MORRICE
''All parents expect too much of their children,'' David Plotz writes in
''The Genius Factory,'' his beguiling account of one man's struggle to
ensure that everyone's children -- at least white ones -- would come up to
the mark. In our era of rampant parental ambition, of ''aggro soccer dads
and home schooling enthusiasts plotting their children's future one spelling
bee at a time,'' the cockeyed vision of Robert K. Graham, a California
millionaire who sought to create cadres of baby geniuses, seems less bizarre
than it probably did in 1980, when Graham's Repository for Germinal Choice,
better known as the Nobel Prize sperm bank, opened its doors.

Plotz, only 10 at the time, recalls his father's appalled reaction to the
notion of using brainiac sperm to spawn wunderkinder: He tried to explain it
was ''the sort of thing Hitler would have tried.'' Has Graham's project lost
its sinister edge? This is one of two inquiries that Plotz, the deputy
editor at Slate, explores in his first book.

The reader may conclude Hitler would have been more efficient than Graham.
Although Graham's business talents allowed him to parlay his invention of
plastic eyeglass lenses into a great fortune, he fumbled the first stage of
his grand scheme -- cajoling Nobel winners in science to provide their
superior seed to improve America's gene pool. The problem was his showpiece
donor: William Shockley, a pioneer of the transistor who shared the 1956
Nobel in physics. Shockley's sperm, ''a superb asset,'' in Graham's view,
was the first contribution frozen, color-coded and offered to infertile
couples eager to conceive. In this case Graham's natural marketing flair was
done in by his knee-jerk adoration of brilliance. For years Shockley had
preached that whites were genetically superior to blacks, and he was widely
despised. Reporters who might have seen the genius sperm bank as ''well
meaning and perhaps even visionary'' perceived it as inseparable from
Shockley's racism. It was reviled as a horror and lampooned as a joke, and
Nobel donors shunned it.

So the Nobel Prize sperm bank produced no Nobel offspring (even Shockley
quit donating sperm, fearing his was too aged to beget healthy children).
Yet Graham kept the bank in business nearly two decades, with slightly
lowered standards for donors. His staff wooed successful scientists and
businessmen who were athletic, healthy and tall (Graham discovered American
parents were wary of little eggheads). He lured customers by letting them
select donors from an irresistible collection of what Plotz calls ''prime
cuts of American man.'' By the time the bank closed in 1999, its customers
had produced 215 babies, a respectable addition to the national ''germ
plasm,'' as Graham might have said.

Those children populate the second part of Plotz's story. In a 2001 article
in Slate, Plotz sought information from anyone connected with the
repository. He soon found himself cast as the ''Semen Detective,'' trying to
hook up sperm-bank children and their mothers with the anonymous
progenitors. This would be difficult territory for any writer, and Plotz has
to reassure himself that none of his confidants wants him to ''go all
Oprah.'' No wonder. We meet, for instance, a young man who desperately hopes
his biological dad will be a better father than the one who raised him.
Plotz's kindness shines through, but some readers may wonder if the book's
halves -- explorations of the nature of parenthood and the morality of the
Nobel sperm bank -- are coherent.

But in the end, the themes mesh. Plotz's meetings with employees, consumers
and offspring of the repository, sympathetic people on the whole, may have
led him to his understated conclusion that the enterprise wasn't so
terrible. For one thing, Graham's inspired strategy of providing consumers a
choice of the most desirable men possible freed women from the tyranny of
early fertility doctors. And it has become standard industry practice; as
Plotz says, ''All sperm banks have become eugenic sperm banks.''

Indeed, reproductive technologies all have eugenic possibilities now,
especially preimplantation genetic diagnosis, a means of screening embryos
that may one day let parents select the traits they wish for their children.
Plotz labels this petri dish micromanagement an instance of ''private
eugenics.'' But, he argues, even parents who ''will be lining up for P.G.D.
and hoping for a prodigy'' have no use for traditional eugenics, which, in
its brutal, negative form, culminated in the Nazis' ''mercy killings'' of
those they judged unfit. ''Negative eugenics,'' Plotz says, ''was
state-sponsored and brutal. But 'positive' eugenics took a milder
approach.'' Graham's version ''sought to increase the number of outstanding
people,'' in Plotz's phrase. Is personal eugenics -- producing a superkid
for yourself instead of for the master race -- problematic? Plotz suggests
the influence of genes is dicey enough and the role of nurture strong enough
that we are delusional if we think we can make our children ''what we want
them to be, rather than what they are.''

This conclusion, however comforting for parents of teenagers, won't quash
everyone's objections. It doesn't address the recent swing toward nature in
the old nature vs. nurture debate. Nor does it provide an answer for those
who fear that prenatal screening may lead scientists to limit future
research on genetic disorders. But Plotz's take on the role of genes now --
in our imaginations and in fact, so far as we can determine that -- is
humane and funny, which are fine traits for any argument, or any book.

Polly Morrice is writing a book about autism.