[extropy-chat] computer chess again

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 22:56:02 UTC 2005

spike wrote:

>>Alejandro Dubrovsky

>>Note though that enhanced humans are not for finished yet.  The Hydras,
>>both 16 and 32 CPU versions, got hammered just a month ago in an
>>advanced chess comp.
>>alejandro
>>

>Ja I noticed that.  {8-]
>
>alejandro, we should point out for the chess-nongeeks that
>advanced chess is a competition that allows the humans to
>use computers and team up.  I see it as wonderful advertisement
>for computer enhancement of humans in athletic competitions.
>
>spike

Wow!. I quit following chess some time ago in the belief that we had
already learned what we could from it: algorithms plus raw computing
power inevitably surpass human skills in this problem domain. Now you
tell me that while I was not looking, we have a whole new experiment
underway: human-computer collaboration can still beat algorithms and raw
computing capacity!

But why restrict this to sports? Chess is a "sport," but it is also an
exercise
in problem solving. If we adapt the collaborative techniques used in
this competition to activities such as programming, chip design, and other
logic-based problem domains, we can possibly increase our intellectual
productivity. at the extreme we create a seed SI based on a human-computer
collaboration. There is a huge economic incentive to pursue as a way to
increase the productivity of software and hardware developers. There is no
need to treat that as a purely academic or theoretical exercise. Next step:
research the chess collaboration to see if it can be generalized.