[extropy-chat] destroying gardens?

Neil Halelamien neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 06:58:49 UTC 2005

On 7/4/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> This is something that has puzzled me.  Wars have decimated
> male populations since forever, and some societies have
> accepted men having multiple wives.  But in a few cases
> there are societies with excess males, such as in the old
> American west, the Alaskan frontier and China today.  But I
> know of no society that has accepted a woman having two or more
> husbands.  Has there ever been such a thing?  Should we count
> societies that have legal of prostitution as being a kind
> of de-facto polyandrogamy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyandry#Occurrence

"Polyandry has occured in Tibet (Polyandry in Tibet), Zanskar, Nepal,
and Sri Lanka. It is also encountered in some regions of China
(especially Yunnan- the Mosuo people), and in some Subsaharan African
and American indigenous communities (notably the Surui of northwestern
Brazil). It has been reported among the Nairs of Kerala, the Nymba of
North India, and the people of Ladakh (a region of northern India
adjacent to Tibet). In other societies, there are people who live in
de facto polyandrous arrangements that are not recognized by the law."