[extropy-chat] RE: Transhumanism == militant fascism (apparently)

Jacob xander25 at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 5 02:06:22 UTC 2005

Speaking as a former anti-technology guy (very short period of time in
my life), my fears of transhumanism came from two sources:

1) Destructive to the human spirit

The more technologically advanced a society becomes, the less interested
it is in matters that concern his well-being.  Likewise, he becomes
increasingly incapable of handling changing factors that endanger it.
Examine for instance the phenomona of the internet.  How many computer
enthusiasts get out these days?  How many get out into, appreciate, and
learn about nature?  How many learn to socialize with others?  I would
think these are fundamental aspects of what it means to be human.
Translated into transhumanism it becomes a matter of how will this new
technology affect humans?  It could make our lives easier yes, but in
doing so makes us slaves to the technology that was meant to help us.
This is possibly where I think the slashdot poster was coming from, as
he wasn't clear.  However, who says that technology needs to be enslaving?

a. It opens doors to undiscovered potential we haven't been capable of
in the past.
b. The human spirit is about overcoming and adapting.  It's there where
our strength appears.  To figure out ways to preserve who we are, and
yet advance at the same time.  Take for example the automobile.  It
opened up a world of new possibilities.  The caveat now is that we no
longer have to toil in ways done in the past.  Humans developed
excercise (hence adapting) to reclaim to what was lost.

2) Damaging to organic tissue along with it's not natural!  This can be
solved with time, it's just a matter of study.  The problem is vastly
overstated.  The unnatural part is refuted by asking what is natural?
If science and it's application is a product of the human mind, and if
the human mind is natural, then how is it unnatural?

I am utterly shocked that both arguments come from either side of the
political fence (though seems to come more from the left).  So, I don't
think it is a mainly political argument.

--Jacob Bennett