[extropy-chat] RE: Transhumanism == militant fascism (apparently)

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 6 06:53:25 UTC 2005

From: "Jacob" <xander25 at adelphia.net>
> Olga Bourlin wrote:
>> Curses!  Now all the slighted future women will have no choice but to fix
>> your wagon.  (Ready, aim ... spokes galore!)
>
> I'm not sure how to take that, jest or otherwise.  No slight was intended.
> I threw men (which according to Merriam Webster is an
 appropriate use of the word) in there as a figure of speech representing
humankind (do we also change the word "humankind"?).

Tsk, tsk ... never trust a dictionary.  And, I was being facetious.  But -
looka here - you changed from using "mankind" (as in your original post) to
humankind.  Nothing wrong with humankind, my friend!

>  Generally, I am not given well to political slight-of-hand which is
> destined to divert into a side topic, like the one we are going into now.
> I'll be sure to keep my dictionary of politically correct jargon handy
> from now on.

Nah, whatever works for you - don't worry about it.  Ingrained habits may
become modified (if they make sense), or they won't (because they don't make
sense).  Often, we are inspired - or not - depending on the company we keep
(as there's reason and purpose for the latter).  But on a list like this ...
one never knows whom one might meet.  ;c)

> If only men are fit to become philosophers that excludes Ayn Rand.

Ayn Rand?  Ayn Rand?  Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ...

> "My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being,
> with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive
> achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only
> bsolute."  --Ayn Rand
>
> Note her wording.  I highly doubt anyone would call her a chauvinist,
> particularly since she was female, as well as being a staunch
> individualist.  Atlas Shrugged by the same author, in fact, made her
> central character a heroine by the name of Dagny. The above quote
> applied to her as well.

Chauvinist goes both ways (male chauvinist or female chauvinist), so that is
neither here nor there.

Although that's not to say I wouldn't call Ayn Rand many things (and I
have).  But as we discussed Ayn Rand here interminably some years ago, I
don't want to belabor any points already made and insults already exchanged.

Welllllllll, except to say that Ayn Rand didn't have much of a sense of
humor, did she?  Very, very unfortunate case.

Olga