[extropy-chat] re: The Catalog Of Correctable Omnipresent Human Flaws

Edward Smith weg9mq at centralmail.zzn.com
Wed Jul 6 18:39:47 UTC 2005

"One step at a time, yo.  The human genome ain't the easiest learning
tool out there.  There's been tons of ongoing work just trying to
understand what all the various bits are."

That is why I said, in part 3 (Application), that research must be
conducted first, and that research should be the main focus of the
new mailing list and it's corresponding reference. I even named the
mailing list 'extropy-research'.

"A few
people have tried basic gene therapy on humans; unfortunately, we know
so little that the attempts killed people."

Gene therapy (which has caused cancer in humans) is the
genetic modification of grown beings, not the genetic
modification of zygotes, and what I am proposing is the genetic
modification of human zygotes. The modification of animal
zygotes (mostly experimental laboratory mice) has not caused
death, cancer, or any other problems, so that will be the case in
humans. In the rare cases that it may cause such problems, it is
only the death of a zygote and not the death of a grown being.