[extropy-chat] learning to appreciate pessimists

c c beb_cc at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 02:11:51 UTC 2005

I am confused when you write, "as it should". This is the dispute in a nutshell. They think they should be able to leave a 'reasonably natural' future to their descendents. I agree their future wouldn't even be natural to begin with, however their vision of patrimony is lodged in their minds like foundation stone. That is not much of an exaggeration. They want to whelp children, educate them, the children become affluent & have children themselves, the grandparents die off and the younger generations inherit estates used to educate those at the front of the line;
 it's self-perpetuating, so when you write, "We want the future to happen as it should", they agree with you...they merely have a wholly different notion of the future happening "as it should".