[extropy-chat] a comparison with London bombings

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 20:18:11 UTC 2005

--- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead of rationally apportioning funds to the
> worst or most unfair
> societal predicaments, homeland security budgets
> soar.
>
> In the UK we will probably have huge spending on
> nonsensical security
> measures now, just like in the US..

But you already have some of the best security
measures that I know of. From what I understand,
London has more security cameras per square mile of
any city in the world. Which of course begs the
question of how the bombers did what they did. You are
right about the screwy risk assessment involved but
also keep in mind that terrorists count on and could
not function without the medias love of
sensationalizing dangers way above their relative
risk. So long as both politicians and terrorists are
beholden to the media, you will see politicians enact
wasteful and overblown but very visible security
measures against low-risk yet high-profile terrorism.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson