[extropy-chat] more great reasons to be dead

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 16:12:33 UTC 2005

On 7/9/05, Damien Broderick wrote:
> A regular columnist in the Australian newspaper `explains' why life
> extension would be a terrible prospect:
>
> http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,15863203,00.html
>
> ----------
> Christopher Pearson: No future in eternity

Actually, I find a lot to agree with in this article.
(Excluding his obviously misguided criticism of Mr Broderick :) )

He is surprised that governments are keeping quiet about life
extension. Well, the slogan 'No pensions for immortals' is hardly a
vote-winner. Governments already have a huge pensions problem with the
relatively minor life-extension already happening. The population is
no longer dying off around 70 and the survivors are now realizing that
the government has spent all their pension contributions instead of
investing them.

He is certainly correct that the people will insist their governments
provide immortality treatments for everyone as soon as practicable. If
the people see the rich and leading politicians becoming immortal, the
demand will be unstoppable. The immortals will be unable to leave
their homes for fear of assassination by the jealous mortals. And wars
with the mortal nations are also very likely if they are not given the
treatments quickly enough.

I think he is also correct that immortals will become very risk averse
in lifestyle and in investments. There would be a slowdown in the
economy as older minds don't indulge in the spending fads and toys
that fascinate young minds. The 'We've seen it all before' attitude
would apply to everyone.

I also agree that reproduction would virtually disappear. It already
has in most developed societies. His mention of rationing reproductive
rights is a mistake though. Most immortals won't want children and the
few that do can have them without causing any overpopulation problems
as some immortals will continue to die due to accidents or suicide or
homicide.

His contention that immortals could become a race of self-preoccupied,
spoilt prima donnas strikes me at first as surprisingly plausible.
Immortals will have an exaggerated sense of caring for themselves. But
then if we are living in a society of prima donnas, nobody will put up
with anyone else's tantrums. :)

BillK